If you live in Chicago, you know Portillo’s. We’ll even order it into work for a special occasion (like winning a contest or just a normal Friday…) You really cannot go wrong no matter what you order, but my fave item on the menu? Their chopped salad. Unreal. A homemade version? Just as awesome:
HOMEMADE PORTILLO’S CHOPPED SALAD
Modified from Stolen Moments Cooking
- 2 bags shredded lettuce (you could also buy lettuce heads and chop yourself)
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped or shredded
- 1 small red onion, finely minced
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 package cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 c. ditalini pasta, cooked and cooled
- 1 c. gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Vinaigrette dressing, bottled or homemade
- Make sure all ingredients are chopped, minced, sliced, etc.
- Put lettuce in a large bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except dressing, and toss well.
- Serve dressing alongside the salad or pour on and combine just before serving.
Perfect for work lunch or take out the chicken and take to a summer BBQ — ENJOY!!