Based on my obsession with zucchini lately, I thought I should bake it in bread form… and the decision was delicious. The recipe is from one of my fave food blogs Skinny Taste. Added bonus: it’s low fat. Holler!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (regular whole wheat flour would work)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (not packed)
- 1-1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded zucchini (not packed)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add chocolate chips and gently mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, mix egg, vanilla, melted butter, apple sauce and zucchini.
- Add to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Pour batter into a large 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 325° for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes.
- Remove loaf from pan and let it cool before slicing.
It tasted better than it looks in that last picture + it’s low fat. Great idea for a treat for coworkers, brunch, housewarming party, etc. Test it out and let me know what you think.