Chocolate chip cookies. The most beloved of cookies. The first year I was living in Chicago, I found this recipe for “healthier” chocolate chip cookies and it’s proven useful on numerous occasions: camping trips, holiday gifts, family parties, random treat for co-workers … you get the idea.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 10 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened ***must be softened, the cookies will not turn out if you melt it (I know from experience)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cooking spray
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine sugars and butter in a large bowl.
- Beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Add vanilla and egg whites; beat 1 minute.
- Add flour mixture and chips; beat until blended.
- Drop dough by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on pans for 2 minutes.
- Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- Milk Chocolate M&Ms
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1/3 cup butterscotch chips
- Mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate chunks
- Reese’s Pieces
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups Minis
- Dark Chocolate M&Ms
Every variation has been equally delicious. I’m thinking my next variation will be using Hershey’s Cookies’n’Creme drops. I’m anticipating greatness. Let me know any variations/ideas you have. Do you have a go-to recipe for various occasions?